In the following tutorial, I will show you a step by step conversion from .mp3 to .ogg format. I will be using VLC, if you are not familiar with VLC, it is time for you to go to their website, because you have been probably been frozen in an iceberg for the past 15 years. In any case, let us begin, by the way you can do the reverse converting from .ogg to .mp3 using the same steps.
Steps to follow.
- Fire up VLC
- Choose Media -> Convert/Save
- Click Add to choose file to convert
- Look for the file to convert and load it up
- Click Convert/Save
- Click Browse
- Go to location where you want to save file, enter the filename including the extension (.ogg)
- Choose Ogg Vorbis in profile
- Click Start
- Wait for it to finish
- You have 2 copies
Fire up VLC
1. Start up the VLC player
Choose Convert/Save under Media
2. Click on the Media option and choose Convert/Save
Add File to convert
3. Click the Add button to open file browser to find media to convert
4. Find media to convert, in this case an .mp3 file, and click Open
5. Click on the Convert/Save option
Create a destination file
6. Click browse to open File Browser to choose destination location of converted file
7. Using the File browser, locate destination folder/directory, and type in the new name of the file to be converted. Note: please include the extension, in this case .ogg to the file target.
Choose type of new file
8. Choose the profile from the dropdown list of the format of the file being converted, in this case Audio - Vorbis (OGG)
Start the conversion process.
9. At this time, we can start the process of conversion
Actual Conversion Process
10. Wait for the conversion to finish, do not close or interrupt VLC during this process.
11. The conversion is done, you can find your converted file in your destination file and location. In this example, both files are located in the same location, take note of the file extension, one is mp3 and the other is .ogg